Jacob Worst was born ca 1770 in Berks County, Pennsylvania, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Laub) Worst. He died before May 1810 in Frankford Township, Cumberland Co PA. His wife is unknown.
There was one other Jacob Worst in early censuses, a man who lived in York Co PA and was not our ancestor.
In 1790, he was in Cumru Twp, Berks Co PA, p 31: Henry Worst, 2/1/2. In 1800, he was in Cumberland Co PA, p 201: Jacob Worst, 20010/10010/00. By the 1810 census, he had died, although his father was still in that township: Cumberland Co PA, Frankford Twp. Henry Worst. 00001/00001.
In addition to the censuses, there are three records known which mention this man. First, he purchased land in Frankford Twp., Cumberland Co PA deed, 5 Jul 1796.
Second, his Cumberland Co PA will is dated May 1810; his wife was not living at the time of the will. Third, his father Henry Worst’s will, Frankford Twp., Cumberland Co PA, is dated Oct 1812 and was proved Apr 1816.
Children of Jacob Worst:
1. Jacob WORST Jr was born in Cumberland Co PA and died after 1831. Jacob married Barbara –?–.
2. Peter WORST was born ca 1803 in Cumberland Co PA. Peter died in Bucyrus, Crawford Co OH, after 1850. He was in Bucyrus, Crawford Co OH, in 1830, 1840, and 1850, the latter year with wife Margaret and children, Gustavus, 19, Peter L 15, Gaius, 10, Saloma, 7, Forrest, 2; children all born in Ohio.
3. Elizabeth WORST was born on 3 Dec 1794 in Cumberland Co PA. She died in Cumberland Co PA, on 23 Mar 1868 and was buried in Zeiglers Church, Mifflin Twp, Cumberland Co PA. On 3 Oct 1816, she married Samuel RAMP, son of Philip RAMP & Elisabetha ALBRECHT, in Cumberland Co PA. He was born on 20 Sep 1793 in Berks Co PA and died in Cumberland Co PA, on 20 Apr 1868. They had the following children:
i. Jacob (1815-<1850)
ii. Marey Anna (1817-1890)
iii. Samuel (1820-1898)
iv. Amanda (1822-)
v. Elizabeth (1823-)
vi. Catherine (1826-1898)
vii. Susan (1829-1898)
viii. Nancy (1831-)
ix. Margaret (1834-1904)
x. Henry Benjamin (1840-1900)
4. Anna Mary WORST was born in Cumberland Co PA. Anna Mary married Lewis BALTRUM, although I have been unable to locate either of them in any records, including the census.
5. David WORST was born on 26 Dec 1797 in Cumberland Co PA. He died in Cumberland Co PA, on 26 Aug 1850, and was buried in Trindle Springs Lutheran Church, Silver Spring Twp, Cumberland Co PA. On 30 Jan 1834 when David was 36, he married Mary Ann ZEARING who was born on 7 Nov 1814. He was probably indexed as David Kertz in North Middleton Twp, Cumberland Co PA 1830. 1840 Mechanicsburg Twp, Cumberland Co PA, David Worst. 1850 Mechanicsburg Twp, Cumberland Co PA, David Worst, with Mary Ann and four children ages 1-11.
6. Daniel WORST was born on 23 Aug 1799 in Cumberland Co PA and died in Cumberland Co PA, on 6 Apr 1849. He was in the census in 1830 Frankford Twp, Cumberland Co PA, Daniel Werst. 1840 Frankford Twp, Cumberland Co PA, Daniel Worst. He was probably married to Susan –?–. The following is from Cemetery records at the Cumberland Co PA genweb site: LUTHERAN BRICK CHURCH GRAVEYARD, FRANKFORD TWP
Worst, Benjamin d.?, b. 1835
Worst, Mary d. 4-15-1901, age 61y 0m 13d
Worst, Daniel d. 4-6-1849, b. 8-23-1799
Worst, Susan d. 9-28-1884, age 80y 4m 20d
7. Samuel WORST was bron on 27 May 1804 in Frankfort Twp, Cumberland Co PA and died there on 9 Sep 1876. On 16 Feb 1832, he married Elizabeth ZEARING in Cumberland Co PA. She was born on 3 Oct 1812 in Allen Twp, Cumberland Co PA and died on 1 Dec 1886. 1840 Mechanicsburg Twp, Cumberland Co PA, Samuel Worst. 1850 with Eliza and four children plus 2 others.
Ancestry.com has their children:
i. Jonas Z WORST b: 14 MAY 1833
ii. Samuel Evans WORST b: 12 JAN 1835
iii. Martin Augustus WORST b: 23 JAN 1837
iv. Sarah Ann WORST b: 3 OCT 1838
v. Ann Catherine WORST b: 3 MAR 1849
vi. Sarah Jane WORST b: 8 APR 1842
8. Catherine WORST was born on 10 Jun 1809 in Cumberland Co PA. She died in Lacon, Marshall Co IL, on 8 Oct 1858. Catherine married John Alexander CHAMBERS. Born ca 1812 in PA, John Alexander died in Paola, Miami Co KS, on 26 Jul 1876. They were in Illinois in 1850: Marshall Co IL: John Chambers, 38 PA, Catherine, 41 ditto, Rachel, 12, Alexander, 10, Daniel, 8, Elizabeth, 3, Samuel, 2.
© Kathy Alvis Patterson 2008