He was married 14 Dec 1856, in Madison Co IL, to Frances Brooks.
On 5 Jul 1883, in Nokomis, Montgomery Co IL, she married second Martin Harkey, who predeceased her. Frances is buried near her second husband.
By 1850, both Frances and William had been orphaned, although William’s mother was still living. Frances was listed in the census that year is her sister, Mary (Brooks) Hill’s household. William’s census has not been identified. In 1860, the young couple was in Piasa Precinct, Jersey Co IL, page 159, dwelling 43, family 42; William was listed as a farmer, and they had twin daughters, Cora and Isabel, 2 years and 8 months old. In 1870, town of Brighton, Macoupin Co IL, page 20, dwelling 136, family 138, William was now listed as a teamster, and the couple had four children. By 1880, William was dead, and the family was scattered: Frances was living with her brother Elias Brooks in Madison Co IL, Cora and William were residing with their paternal aunt Lucy (Alvis) Young and her family in Montgomery Co IL, Isabel may have also died, and Edward was in working near a maternal aunt in Dickinson Co KS.
The children of William and Frances (Brooks) Alvis were:
- Cora ALVIS. Born on 11 Sep 1857 in IL. Cora died in IL on 5 Jul 1925. In 1880 when Cora was 22, she married William CARRIKER in IL. Born 27 Jan 1855, William died 10 Feb 1924. They had six daughters:
- Frances Sara (1881-1972), married Moses Elmer Newell
- Ethel M (1884-bef 1967), married Roy Smith
iii. Edith M (1887-1968), married Roy S Zepp
- Belle B (1889-bef 1967)
- Muriel Laura (1894-1967), married Harold Roslyn Counton, m2 Joseph F Havelka
- Cora Lucille (1898-1960)
- Isabella ALVIS. Born on 11 Sep 1857 in IL. Isabella probably died after 1883. On 30 Jun 1877 Isabella married William CASKEY in Marion Co IL; Aunt Nellie (Alvis) (Becker) Penfield said, “she died soon after her marriage.” Recently, it was discovered she married #2 Joshua Augustus Frankford, 22 Jun 1883 in Madison Co IL. No children have been discovered. Joshua A Frankford married Anne Alphin Ryan on 4 May 1898. Isabella’s husbands were the stepson of her aunt, Rachel Permelia (Brooks) Caskey and the son of her aunt, Lucy Ann (Brooks) (McCarver or Marvin) Frankford.
- Edward Amandus ALVIS. Born on 21 Sep 1861 in Brighton, Macoupin Co IL. Edward Amandus died in South Fork, Howell Co MO, on 8 Sep 1934. On 12 Oct 1882, he married Anna Margaret EYSTER, daughter of George EYSTER & Margaret RAMP, in Abilene, Dickinson Co KS. Born on 26 Oct 1860 in Chambersburg, Franklin Co PA. Anna Margaret died in Geary, Blaine Co OK, on 10 Nov 1920; she was 60. They had the following children:
- Cora Bell (1883-1983)
- Anna May (1885-1962)
iii. Nellie Pearl (1887-1980)
- Roy Irving (1888-1975)
- Bessie Grace (1890-1961)
- Ida Mary (1893-1912)
vii. Alice Esther (1895-1983)
viii. William Solon (1895-1987)
- George Orville (1901-1983)
- William Elmer ALVIS. Born on 11 Nov 1869 in Brighton, Macoupin Co IL. William Elmer died in Thomas, Custer Co OK, on 23 Jun 1924. He was buried in the Bethany Cemetery, Thomas, Custer Co OK. On 12 Sep 1894 when William Elmer was 24, he married Effie Nora FALEN, daughter of Philip Elmer FALEN & Sarah Jane HODGES, in Abilene, Dickinson Co KS. Born on 5 Nov 1873 in Dickinson Co KS. Effie Nora died in Hollis, Harmon Co OK, on 30 Nov 1963. They had the following children:
- Sarah Frances (1895-1972)
- Leona Nora (1899-1984)
iii. Elmer Philip (1901-1943)
- James Chester (1903-1998)
- Floyd Everett (1905-1995)
- Luella Susan (1910-2007)
© 2008, Kathy Alvis Patterson
 Dates are from the Brighton IL cemetery.
 The place is known from his children’s 1880 and later censuses. His parents were in MO in the 1830 census and the next older sister was born there in 1836.
 Lineage application of Katherine Alvis Patterson, national no. 554801, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, supplemental (John Craighead), “Add” volume 956, approved 2008.
 Madison County Marriage Book 6:180, County Clerk’s Office, Edwardsville IL.
 Lineage application of Katherine Alvis Patterson, national no. 60585, Society of Mayflower Descendants, approved 1994. Frances Brooks is named in her father’s estate papers.
 Death certificate no. 1357, Montgomery County IL.