Caleb Hurd (or Herd) was born before 1775, according to his 1820 census. His surviving children’s 1880 censuses do not agree on his birthplace. In addition to his 1820 Sprigg, Township, Adams Co OH census, the only statement I had previously seen that he existed is the fact that he is named as the husband of Martha Oursler in several gedcoms, although I have never seen evidence for this. Now, a lookup volunteer in Adams Co OH has informed me that Caleb Herd appears on enumeration and proprietors lists in 1811 and 1812 in Huntingdon Township. His 1830 census has not been located; his widow Martha’s 1840 and 1850 censuses show her still resident in the same township in Adams Co.
Our family’s tie to Adams Co OH is the death certificate of one of Nancy (Morris) Armstrong’s sisters. When Margaret (Morris) Kent died in 1912, the informant on her death certificate gave the birth date and place for her father, George Morris, as 1790, Lexington KY, and the birth date and place for her mother, Elizabeth “Herd,” as 1807, Adams Co OH.
There were three widows with their names spelled Herd, not Hurd, in Sprigg Township, Adams Co OH in 1850, two in adjoining households and the other a few houses away: Elizabeth, 36, Mary, 36, and Martha, 60.
First, Mary (Hutson) Herd is assumed to be the widow of William Hurd, who died in Feb 1841; she was born ca 1814 in Maryland. In the 1840 census they were in Adams Co OH: 11001…/20001. In 1850, Mary’s father, Major Hutson, was residing with his daughter’s family.
Second, Elizabeth (–?–) Herd, born in the same year but in Kentucky, was probably the widow of another son, possibly the John who made purchases from William’s estate.
Third, Martha was the widow of Caleb and probably the mother-in-law of the other two.
In 1820, this family was in Adams Co OH, p 20: Caleb Hurd, 200001/31010; there were two sons under ten and four daughters. Note that Caleb was older than his wife. Two other sons may have been working with other families, or may not belong to this family. The only daughter born before 1820 whose name is known is Elizabeth.
There was a marriage in Adams Co OH, 11 Dec 1817, between Mintey Hurd and James Clure. I have not found this couple in later records. There was an Araminta Hurd among the children of Joseph Hurd of Caroline Co MD; she married Joseph Rich in 1805. It is possible that Caleb was a member of this Maryland family and that his oldest daughter was this “Mintey.”
Martha (Oursler) Hurd was born in Pennsylvania in 1790, a daughter of Charles and Martha (McKinley) Oursler. In 1840, she was in Sprigg Township, Adams Co OH, Martha Herd: 0001/00002001. The son born after 1820 was John William; since he appears to have had an older brother named John and one named William, he may actually have been a grandson of Caleb and Martha.
Martha was living alone in that township in 1850. Of the three widows in 1850 only Martha was older than our Elizabeth (Hurd) Morris, born ca 1807 in Adams Co OH, and only Martha was in Adams Co OH before 1807.
The Oursler family was in Adams Co as early as 1800, but it is unclear when Caleb Hurd arrived. He married Martha Oursler, probably as his second wife, ca 1806.
They may have been in Pendleton Co KY, or elsewhere in Kentucky, in 1830 for these reasons:
1. No one named Hurd can be found in Sprigg Twp, Adams Co OH.
2. Minerva Hurd was born in 1830 in Pendleton Co, Kentucky.
3. “Calup” Herd was born ca 1826 somewhere, possibly in Pendleton Co KY.
4. Major Hudson was in Pendleton Co KY in 1830.
5. Caleb Herd married Jane Pew in KY in 1832.
If not in Kentucky, it is likely Martha and her children were with a married daughter or someone else, not a separate household.
In addition to a possible daughter Mintey from an earlier marriage, the children of Caleb and Martha included some or all of these:
1. Elizabeth HURD was born in 1807 in Adams Co OH, Elizabeth died in Mason Co IL, ca 1859. On 3 Sep 1827, she married George MORRIS, possibly a son of Thomas MORRIS Jr and his first wife Betsy STEPHENSON, in Brown Co OH. Born in 1790 in Lexington, Fayette Co KY, George died in Mason Co IL, on 1 Jun 1861. They had the following children:
i. Nancy Ann (1829-1891)
ii. Jane (1831-)
iii. William (1833-)
iv. Julia Ann (1834-)
v. David (1835-)
vi. Rose Ann (1839-)
vii. Charles (1841-)
viii. Martin V (1843-1905)
ix. Margaret (1845-1912)
x. Mary Eliza (1847-1917)
xi. John (1849-)
xii. Harriet (1851-)
2. Caleb HURD was born ca 1809 in KY. He was a cooper. In 1832, he married Jane PEW in Boone Co KY. They had the following children:
i. Caleb (1835-)
ii. Margaret (1840-)
iii. Lucy A (1844-)
iv. George (1846-)
v. John (1850-)
3. Charles Thomas HURD was born in 1813 in Sprigg Twp, Adams Co OH. Charles Thomas died in Pendleton Co KY, on 8 Sep 1896. His first wife‘s name is not known. They had the following children:
i. Minerva (ca1830-<1880)
ii. Caleb (ca1834-)
iii. Sarah (ca1836-)
iv. William (1840-)
v. Robert (ca1842-)
vi. John W (ca1843-)
vii. Malissa (ca1844-)
On 18 Jan 1846 when Charles Thomas was 33, he second married Indian SHELTON in Brown Co OH. She was born ca 1824 in OH, and her relation to John William Hurd’s wife Sarah Shelton, is not known. They had the following children:
i. Charles Thomas (1848-)
ii. Rachel M (ca1850-)
iii. Noah (ca1853-)
iv. George W (1854-)
v. Mary R (1856-)
vi. Stephen A (ca1858-)
vii. India Ann (1859-)
viii. Leslie (ca1862-)
ix. Eliza (ca1864-)
x. Hester (ca1866-)
About 1869, Charles third married Martha Araminta Tewell in Pendleton Co KY. Born 19 Aug 1834. Martha died in Pendleton Co KY, 9 Apr 1912.
4. William HURD. Born say 1813, William died in Adams Co OH, ca 12 Feb 1841. His family in 1840 was in Adams Co OH, p 55: William Herd, 11001/20001. In the early 1830s, he married Mary HUTSON, daughter of Major HUTSON. Mary was born in 1814 in MD. They had the following children:
i. John W (1834-1917)
ii. Sarah (1836-)
iii. Julia (1838-)
iv. Mary (1840-)
5. A son, possibly John HURD, who was born say 1814. He left a widow and children in Adams Co OH, before 1850. His widow Mary was living in 1860. They had the following children:
i. (son) (1830-)
ii. Margaret (1830-)
iii. George (1836-)
6. Ruth. Born ca 1811 or 1812 in Ohio, probably Adams Co. She died probably in Pendleton Co KY in the 1860s. By 1842 at the latest, Ruth married Ellis Brooks. He was born ca 1811 or 1812 in Ohio and died after 1870 probably in Pendleton Co KY. Ellis may have been related to Leonard Brooks of Adams County, who was married to Martha (Oursler) Hurd’s niece, Jane True Oursler. Ruth and Ellis had these children:
i. Martha P (1842)
ii Judy Clarinda (1844)
iii. Margaret (1846)
iv. Louisa (1848)
v Charles E (1850)
7. (daughter) HURD. Born in 1810-20.
8. John William HURD. Born on 24 Feb 1821 in Adams Co OH, he died in Davis Co IA, on 15 Jan 1898 and was buried in Orleans Cemetery, Moulton, IA. On 16 Mar 1845 John William married Sarah A SHELTON, daughter of Thomas SHELTON & Elizabeth DRYDEN, in Adams Co OH. Born on 10 Oct 1828 in Adams Co OH, Sarah A died in Moulton IA, on 18 Mar 1904. They had the following children:
i. Elizabeth Francis (1846-1919)
ii. Martha Jane (1848-1929)
iii. Lucy (1851-)
iv. Laura Belle (1853-1924)
v. Thomas O (1857-1861)
vi. Charles Henry (1859-)
vii. Flora (1862-)
viii. Samuel W (1865-1926)
ix. John William (1869-1937)
© Kathy Alvis Patterson, 2008
Caleb Hurd in Pendleton Co KY said both parents born in VA. Charles Thomas Hurd in Pendleton Co KY said father born in MD, mother in Ohio. John William Hurd in Iowa said either “Penn.” Or “Tenn,” illegible; he also said his mother was born in Ohio.
 Margaret (Morris) Kent’s death certificate, Mason Co IL, p. 16, 12 Aug 1910.
 History of Adams Co OH, Evans & Stivers, 1900: “Major Hutson (grandfather of our subject) was a native of Ireland/ He located in Kentucky in 1804 on the old Daisy Plantation near Millersburg. Here he raised a family of children, five of whom lived to maturity. They were Henry, father of our subject; Hannah…; Rachel…; Elizabeth, wife of William Stevenson; and the wife of William Herd. The last named is the only survivor. Major Hutson removed to Adams County in 1812. He located on what is known as the Bloomhuff farm and resided there until his death, aged 90, in the year 1852.”
 There was another Hurd-Hutson marriage about this time in Clay Co KY, but I see no connection between the families.
 1850 Sprigg Twp, Adams Co OH.
 Later, I discovered that one of the previously unidentified daughters of Caleb and Martha, Ruth Hurd, had married Ellis Brooks and moved to Pendleton Co KY by 1860.