Henry Gossett was born 4 Dec 1818 in Martinsville, Henry Co VA, the son of Cavin and Mary (Phifer) Gossett. He died in Hart Co KY on 2 Jun 1912. He was buried at the New Hope Baptist Church cemetery; his grave stone has no dates, just his Civil War unit.
On 28 Nov 1843 in Barren Co KY, he married Elizabeth Pedigo. After her death, he was married to another Elizabeth of the same age, who survived him and filed for a widow’s pension. This wife was with him in 1870 and 1880, but he was called widowed in 1900 and 1910.
Henry Gossett served in the Union forces during the Civil War. He was in Co D, 33rd Regiment, KY Infantry, then transferred to Co K 26th KY Infantry.
Henry’s census record is as follows:
· 1850 Barren Co KY, p 432, 411-421. Henry Gossett 30 m farmer $430 VA, Elizabeth 26 female KY, Peter F 5 m KY, Martha J 4 female KY, John C 3 male KY, Mary E 1 female KY.
· 1860 US census, Hart Co KY, Dist #1, p 38: Gossett, Henry, 41 farmer 200 ditto [=KY], can read and write, Elizabeth 34 KY, can’t read or write, Peter 15 KY, Martha J 13 KY, Mary E 12 KY, John Calvin 11 KY, James T 10 KY, Judy T 8 KY, Catherine 7 KY, Henry G 2 KY.
· 1870 US census, Hart Co KY, p 257, 226-226. Henry “Goset” 50 white male farmer 400 100 VA, can read & write male citizen, Elizabeth 40 female white keeping house KY, Henry 13 white male farm hand KY. Next door to James Bingham.
· 1880 US Census, Hart Co KY, Waterloo Twp, p 324A. Henry “Gussett,” 61 white male farmer cannot read & write, KY VA VA, Elizabeth 57 white female keeping house cannot read & write KY NC NC.
· 1900 US census, Hart Co KY. In household of James H Bingham, Nov 1838, Margaret Jane 1844, Henry Gossett, Dec 1818, age 82, VA, “father-in-law.”
· 1910 FC Horse Cave, Hart Co KY, Henry Gossett, 91 widowed, VA VA VA, residing with daughter Margaret and her husband James Bingham.
The children of Henry and Elizabeth (Pedigo) Gossett were:
1. Peter GOSSETT. Born on 30 Oct 1844 in Barren Co KY. Peter died in Barren Co KY, on 27 Jun 1927. On 30 Sep 1889 when Peter was 44, he married Viola GRADY in Glasgow KY. Born on 26 Feb 1859 in Adair Co KY. Viola died in Logansport IN, on 3 Jun 1944. They had the following children:
i. William E (1890-1918)
ii. Robert G (1895-)
iii. Albert G (1897-1946)
iv. Mary M (1899-)
v. Henry Watterson (1901-1983)
2. Martha Jane GOSSETT. Born on 4 Jan 1846 in Barren Co KY. Martha Jane died in Bridgeport, Caddo Co OK, on 29 Aug 1937. On 27 Jul 1866, she married Berry Rowlett PEDIGO, son of Elijah PEDIGO & Frances HARPER, in Hart Co, KY. Born on 12 Mar 1842 in Hart Co KY. Berry Rowlett died in Bridgeport, Caddo Co OK, on 5 Apr 1923. They had the following children:
i. Louisa Frances (1867-1868)
ii. Lucy Jane (1869-1918)
iii. Esther Calvin (1870-1882)
iv. Peter Henry Ross (1872-1928)
v. Elijah (1874-1919)
vi. Holland Bain (1877-1960)
vii. Joshua Abraham Lincoln (1878-1959)
viii. Berry Rowlett (1881-1882)
ix. Margie Elizabeth (1883-1885)
x. Clyde Thomas (1885-1934)
xi. Dora Ritter (1887-1983)
xii. Rosa M (1889-)
xiii. Franklin (ca1891-)
3. John Calvin GOSSETT. Born on 5 Oct 1847 in Metcalfe Co KY. John Calvin died in Hart Co KY, on 17 Oct 1910. In say 1871, he first married Martha SMITH in Barren Co KY. She probably died before 1880. They had the following children:
i. Vardia Basil (1872-1946)
ii. Jacob (ca1879-)
On 25 Dec 1880 John second married Josephine EARL in Barren Co KY. They had the following children:
i. Henry T (1884-)
ii. Hosa C (1887-)
iii. Charley P (1889-)
4. Mary E GOSSETT. Born in 1848 in KY. Mary probably died before 1870. It is possible she was married to James Bingham as his first wife.
5. James T GOSSETT. Born in 1850 in KY. James probably died before 1870.
6. Judith Frances GOSSETT. Born on 30 Sep 1852 in Barren Co KY. Judith Frances died in Hiseville, Barren Co KY, on 11 Feb 1936. About 1875 when Judith Frances was 22, she married John Green EMORY in KY. Born in 1852 in KY. John Green died in Barren Co KY, on 7 Jan 1929. They had the following children:
i. Mattie (1877-)
ii. Linie (1879-)
iii. Benjamin (1884-)
iv. Josephus (1888-)
v. Robert (1890-)
vi. Lizzie (1891-)
7. Permelia Catherine GOSSETT. Born on 9 Mar 1855 in Barren Co KY. Permelia Catherine probably died before 1870.
8. Lewis W GOSSETT. Born on 13 Sep 1856 in Barren Co KY. Lewis W probably died before 1860.
9. Henry G GOSSETT. Born on 11 Aug 1857 in Edmonson Co KY. Henry G died in Barren Co KY, on 3 Apr 1931. In 1880 Henry married Mary Susan STURGEON in KY. Born on 6 May 1865 in KY. Mary Susan died in Barren Co KY, on 13 Dec 1951.
They had the following children:
i. James A Garfield (1882-)
ii. Daisie (1884-)
iii. Lilian (1886-)
iv. Julius (1887-)
v. Mary Willis (1890-)
vi. Henry T (1892-)
vii. Flora May (1894-)
viii. Grace (1896-)
10? What about Margaret? In 1880, Henry Gossett was next door to James Bingham and his wife Margaret and family; in 1900 he was living with them called “father-in-law”; in 1910 he was still with them as “boarder.” James Bingham’s wife from at least 1870 appears to have been Margaret (Amos) Bingham who died in Hart Co KY (KY Death Records at Ancestry.com)-10 Jan 1844-24 Jul 1923. It seems that either James was married earlier to a daughter of Henry’s or the title of father-in-law was mistaken by the 1900 censustaker.
© 2009, Kathy Alvis Patterson
 John Paul Grady, “Henry Gossett-Elizabeth Pedigo family group sheet,” supplied 11 Jan 1967 by Grady (1805 Western Drive, Midland TX). This FGS lists only “1850, 1860 census” as references. Permelia and Lewis are not listed on the FGS.
 Barren Co KY, lawsuit regarding estate, filed 23 Nov 1848. Henry Gossett vs. James Gossett, George Franklin, Jane Franklin, William Barrett, Martha Barrett, Peter Gossett, Uriah Huffman, Peter Hay, Henry Sherby, Sanford R Pace, Hugh Wilson.
 Death certificate, published online at Ancestry.com.
 Henry Gossett tombstone, New Hope Cemetery, Hart Co KY, photo sent by Virginia Dossey.
 So why was an application filed for a widow’s pension in 1910, which by the way was before he died? Was it thought a widowed veteran could file for a widower’s pension?
 Grady, loc cit.
 William Pedigo will (1845), Barren Co Will Book, 246, Clerk of Circuit Court’s Office, Glasgow KY: LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, Barren Co., Kentucky Will Book, page 246
I William Pedigo of the county of Barren and State of Kentucky being weak in the body but of usual good disposing mind and memmory wished to dispose of the worldly goods God has been pleased to bless me with, do make this my last will and testament in the manner and form following…
ITEM 1st. It is my will after my death that my youngest daughter Louisa Jane Pedigo shall have when she arrives at the age of twenty one years or marries, Seventy five dollars in cash to purchase a horse bridle and saddle, Twenty dollars in cash to purchase a bed stead bed & furniture, Eight dollars in case to purchase a cow & calf, and Fifty dollars in cash. Also my two youngest sons George W. Pedigo & Elzy D. Pedigo when they arrive at the age of twenty one years or marry each one shall have seventy five dollars in cash to purchase a house bridle and saddle and fifty dillars in cash to be kept in money until the term or terms before named to them and their heirs and heirs forever.
ITEM 2nd. after my death it is my will that all my property both real and personal shall be sold by my executors and the ad. executor to make all lawful conveyance to the persons, and the proceeds of such sale together with the cash on hand, and all the cash that may be due me by notes or otherwise shall be collected by my executor if it can be done and after given off what is evised to my thre youngest children before named in the first item of this my last will all the balance of the proceeds of my estate shall be equally divided among all my chidren namely John Pedigo, Elizabeth Gossett, the wife of Henry Gossett, Martha Ann Mann, the wife of James Mann, George W. Pedigo, Elzy D. Pedigo and Louisa Jane Pedigo to them and their heirs forever hereby revoking all former wills by me make.
ITEM 3rd. I constitute and appoint Joseph Read my sole executor to execute and carry into effect this my last will and testament.
ITEM 4th. I direct the county court or any court this may come before not to demand any security whatever of my said executor Joseph Read his property standing bound for his faithful performance in executing this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused my seal to be fixed this 16th day of January 1845.
ITEM 5th. Whereas my son Jesse acts disobedient with me at this and at otherwise believing he does not deserve an equal share with the balance of my children therefore my executor is to take fifty dollars out of the said Jesse Pedigo portion and divide it between my son John Pedigo and Sarah Bishop the wife of James B. Bishop twenty five dollars each witness this day and date in the fourth item.
 Death certificate, published online at Ancestry.com.
 Enlisted as a Private on 1 September 1862. Enlisted in Company D, 33rd Infantry Regiment Kentucky on 13 September 1862. Transferred to Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment Kentucky on 1 April 1864. Mustered out Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment Kentucky on 30 June 1865 in Salisbury, NC. Filed for invalid pension 31 May 1880. See footnote.com (http://www.footnote.com/image/1447322/kentuckies%7cHenry%20Gossett%7cKentucky/). Pension certificate #627,975, and widow’s pension #701,435. Also, Clayton C. Simmons. Historical Trip through East Barren County KY, Evansville IL: Whipporwill Pub., n. d, p. 238. Henry Gossett is listed among Union veterans buried in Barren County KY.
 A lady in Kentucky had the family Bible; she shared it with another researcher who created Family Group Sheets which claimed to be based on the Bible record.